Anyway, I have decided to write a Christmas wish list this year but instead of giving it to my parents to fulfill, I am sending it out into the Internet universe so that the world's activists, protesters, humanitarians, policymakers, friends, and maybe even God can work to fulfill the list that I am sending, theoretically, to Santa this year.
Dear Santa,
I hope you are doing well and the reindeer, elves, and Mrs. Claus are all having a splendid winter. I have been very good this year so I have made you a list of things to get me for Christmas.
My Christmas List
- For every child to have a chance to learn to read so that they can travel around the world in a matter of pages. No matter what a child must live through, war zones, famines, poverty, an escape and journey can be found in a book.
- For Our Girl to be brought back. It’s been 254 days since 273 school girls were kidnapped from the Chibok Government Secondary School by Boko Haram Terrorists in Nigeria.
- For the world to realize that all lives matter. All black lives. All white lives. All lives. I don’t want my use of the phrase “All lives matter” to be taken in the way that it has been used on Twitter or Instagram. While I believe that all lives matter and have equal value, I acknowledge that the world doesn’t need a reminder that white lives matter. For some God-unknown reason, people have forgotten that black lives matter. This year, I hope and pray that one good thing will come from the incidents in Ferguson and New York (and all over the world). I pray that we will honor the lives lost by progressing as a group to transform into a society that understands and values the worth of all lives.
- For the waters in our rivers, bays, and oceans to be given the attention and care that they deserve and need. I pray that my children will be able to safely and confidently have children knowing that they will still have a home on this fragile planet that we have taken for granted for so long.
- For peace and resolution in on the West Bank and along the Gaza Strip. While the solution to the conflicts in Palestine and Israel is complex and unknown to me, I pray that it is soon realized and the citizens on both sides can enjoy a peaceful and safe Christmas, whether or not it is the celebration of their choice.
- For a halting cure and widespread eradication of the Ebola virus in West Africa.
- For a resolution in the nearly three-year conflict in Syria that has caused increased occurrences of terrorist attacks in Lebanon and turmoil in the surrounding areas and for a solution to the crisis in Ukraine.
- For peace and serenity for the families who have lost children due to acts of violence, whether in Newton Ct. or Pakistan.
- For the minorities in the United States to be granted rights that are overdue. I pray for steps of progress for marriage equality and rights for the LGBTQA community. I pray for income equality. I pray for far representation of women in legislative bodies.
- For the strength of our government to work together, as have other Western democracies, to roll back the “surveillance state.” I pray that in the post-Snowden (it took forever for spellcheck to accept that I wasn't trying to write post-Snowman) world, an intensely secretive and intrusive national security is not the new norm.
d Thank you for whatever progress or faith or hope you bring us this year. I hope 2015 is brighter and better than 2014. Merry Christmas!
Sincerely,
Tori
No comments:
Post a Comment