Dreams

Dreams
It feels like coming home

Monday, March 9, 2015

Living with Lyme

        Maryland, and many other states in the Northeast, have screwed over Lyme disease patients. Limiting treatment and trivializing the chronic illness, the medical world hasn't exactly worked in favor with Lyme patients. Luckily, there is a community that is growing stronger and smarter to help Lyme victims cope with their symptoms and live normal lives. 
         I have struggled with Lyme for 15 years. I have lost part of my hearing and I struggle daily with abnormal digestive functions. The pain varies from day to day but I have learned several ways to cope and minimize the severity of my symptoms. Although I haven't figured it all out, here are 8 tips to living with Lyme. 



1. Drink lots of water every day. In fact, don't drink anything but water. 
I drink between 2 and 4 of these (32 oz each) a day and I can feel the difference. On days when I don't meet my water target, I feel much more sluggish. Drinking more water also eases my headaches and joint pain ever so slightly. 



2. Don't eat more than one serving of dairy a day. At one point in my life a doctor put me on lactaid because they suspected that I was lactose intolerant. Taking that supplement decreased some of my IBS symptoms but eventually, it began to exasperate my irregularity. I stopped taking the supplement and limited my dairy intake to, at most, one serving a day and I felt worlds better. Find your calcium somewhere else if you have to, dairy just isn't worth it. 
Where can you get more calcium? 



3. Limit what acidic foods you eat. I love tomatoes and oranges and tea and so many foods that are just plain evil for someone with Lyme. I stopped eating marinara sauce (okay, fine. I decreased how much I ate. But give me a break, I love that stuff) and I noticed an immediate change. And I haven't had orange juice in years. I'm pretty basic. (sorry, I couldn't resist)


4. Say goodbye to red meat. It's pretty simple, red meat isn't good for anyone. And Lyme only exasperates that. 


5. Learn some vinyasas. I promise, this will change your life. I do a couple sessions of yoga a week (usually around 4 or 5) and it keeps a lot of the pain away. On days when I feel weaker or in more pain, I do simple poses that massage my body and I can feel a lot of that tension ease away. On my better days I challenge myself to more inclusive poses that get my whole body working. This is also a great way to stay in shape when running is just too tough on my joints. 


6. Stick to a steady sleep schedule. For me, it doesn't matter when I sleep (I stay up pretty late) as long as it is consistent. For some reason, sticking to a schedule has put my body on a clock that is ticking along very smoothly. When I screw up the schedule, I can count on a flare up. 




7. Find a support system. You will need to have someone to hold your hand. You'll need someone who believes you when you say you are hurting. You will need someone who will rub your back and kiss your forehead. You will also need someone to share stories with. Many towns and cities have Lyme Support Groups that provide a space for patients to share tips and stories and doctor recommendations.
  Find your support group here: http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates/Maryland/



8. Take the right supplements. Many people suggest supplements to help ease the symptoms. I take probiotics, Vitamin B12 and B6, Vitamin C (your immune system is your new best friend), Fiber Supplements, Allertec, Omega 3s, Vitamin D, Zinc, and calcium gluconate. It's a lot, I know but it helps. You just need to make sure that you are taking quality supplements and watch the expiration dates. 



I hope my tips help you with battling the symptoms of Lyme and I wish you the best in your treatment and coping. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment